Friday, July 27, 2007

Interviews With Africans Abroad

This article is one that will combine a series of interviews that i have and will be having, within the next week or so, with African youths who are living abroad. I find it necessary to see how other African youths feel about the mother land as well as their views on living in a country that is not entirely theirs. I will interview both males and females, making sure to include those born abroad and those born in Africa.


Interview 1 with Ms. P: a 19 year old female from Ghana, residing in Canada since the young age of 7 months

Afrika: Do you consider yourself to be an African, Canadian or a mix of both and why?
Ms. P: I consider myself to be an African-Canadian because I was born in Ghana and I always have my roots there. But I embrace my Canadian culture aswell as my Canadian heritage
Afrika: As an African living in Canada, what disadvantages are presented to you due to your status as a non-white
Ms.P:
Some of the disadvantages that I face come through the schools and employment. An employer, seeing my last name may recognize its an African name and may ponder upon some stereotypes and therefore have his decisions in hiring or dealing with me effected. I truly believe that I do not receive the same amount of respect because of my skin colour.
Afrika:
Being an African living in Canada,do you believe you possess more advantages than a youth in
Africa
Ms. P:
Yes I strongly believe that because I have greater opportunities to succeed here than I do in Africa…I'm here for a better life.
Afrika: Do you plan on living in Canada the rest of your life or do you see yourself established in Ghana
?
Ms. P: (giggling) I don’t see myself going back to
Ghana unless it is for a visit
Afrika: are you familiar with Ghanaian politics or even the general activities going on in Ghana. If no, why?
Ms. P: No I am not. I guess it’s just a lack of interest.
Afrika: Who would you be supporting in a football match if it was between Canada and
Ghana
Ms. P:
Ghana! Because that is where I'm from. I consider myself more of a Ghanaian than a Canadian because plainly, that’s just where I’m from
Afrika: Why do you think youth today are running away from their heritage and absorbing only that of the Canadian society’s?
Ms. P: I guess it’s a lack of knowledge. Some youth don’t know their heritage. At times it’s just a huge embarrassment to them, especially from what they see on t.v (world vision commercials) and the rest of the media
Afrika: What is one word you would use to describe Africans
Ms. P: Cultural. We have just so many distinct cultures among us
Afrika: What is one word you would use to describe Canadians
Ms. P: We’re not like Americans, we’re very friendly so I guess one word I would use to describe Canadians is 'friendly'
Afrika: When you think of the name Africa, what comes to mind?
Ms. P: A continent in need

Afrika:
In concluding, what are your thoughts on youths that live in Africa
Ms. P:
I don’t know that much about the youths in
Africa so I cannot give a specific answer to this question but i think they hold their own advantages as we do here in Canada

No comments: